Sunday, October 28, 2012

chanel watches   In some of these communities the candle plays a big part

  "In some of these communities the candle plays a big part. It isnot the candle of commerce as you know it, but a dip made frommutton fat. Strap three between the fingers of your hands andkeep the hand rigid with two flat pieces of wood; then let thecandles burn down lower and lower - can you imagine? Or set acandle in a gunpowder trail and lead the trail to a well-oiledheap of shavings thoughtfully heaped about your naked feet. Or acandle fixed to the shaved head of a man - there are hundreds ofvariations and the candle plays a part in all of them,nike free run 3 women. I don'tknow which Kara had cause to hate the worst, but I know one or twothat he has employed,fake watches wholesale.""Was he as bad as that?" asked T. X.
  John Lexman laughed.
  "You don't know how bad he was," he said.
  Towards the end of the luncheon the waiter brought a note in to T.
  X. which had been sent on from his office.
  "Dear Mr. Meredith,"In. answer to your enquiry I believe my daughter is in London,but I did not know it until this morning. My banker informs methat my daughter called at the bank this morning and drew aconsiderable sum of money from her private account, but where shehas gone and what she is doing with the money I do not know. Ineed hardly tell you that I am very worried about this matter andI should be glad if you could explain what it is all about."It was signed "William Bartholomew."T. X. groaned.
  "If I had only had the sense to go to the bank this morning, Ishould have seen her," he said. "I'm going to lose my job overthis."The other looked troubled.
  "You don't seriously mean that""Not exactly,http://www.rolexsubmarinerreplica1.com/," smiled T. X., "but I don't think the Chief is verypleased with me just now. You see I have butted into thisbusiness without any authority - it isn't exactly in mydepartment. But you have not given me your theory about thecandles.""I have no theory to offer," said the other, folding up hisserviette; "the candles suggest a typical Albanian murder. I donot say that it was so, I merely say that by their presence theysuggest a crime of this character."With this T. X. had to be content.
  If it were not his business to interest himself in commonplacemurder - though this hardly fitted such a description - it waspart of the peculiar function which his department exercised torestore to Lady Bartholomew a certain very elaborate snuff-boxwhich he discovered in the safe.
  Letters had been found amongst his papers which made clear thepart which Kara had played. Though he had not been a vulgarblackmailer he had retained his hold, not only upon thisparticular property of Lady Bartholomew, but upon certain otherarticles which were discovered, with no other object, apparently,than to compel influence from quarters likely to be of assistanceto him in his schemes.
  The inquest on the murdered man which the Assistant Commissionerattended produced nothing in the shape of evidence and thecoroner's verdict of "murder against some person or personsunknown" was only to be expected.
  T. X. spent a very busy and a very tiring week tracing elusiveclues which led him nowhere. He had a letter from John Lexmanannouncing the fact that he intended leaving for the UnitedStates. He had received a very good offer from a firm of magazinepublishers in New York and was going out to take up theappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment